Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Silver River, Ocklawaha River, and more

Posting a video from the "and more" part of the day first, as they take so long to download.

Last time I paddled the Silver River, I did not get any monkey pictures.    At least I saw one. Today, Saturday, April 14, for the first time, I did not see a single monkey. In 8 and a half hours on the water.  And be on the water, I mean on the water.  I only got out of the kayak once, patially, one foot in, one out, to get a better look at some deer, and as long as I was standing, pee.  Besides the deer, the usual alligators, birds, and an otter.  A great day for wood ducks, so they get the leadoff still photo.
I arrived at Ray's Wayside Park sometime after 7 am.  Often a that hour, payment is done on the honor system.  Being honorable is advisable, I've seen tickets on cars that did not pat.  Today, the entry booth was manned.  I paid the 5 bucks, drove to the kayak launch, got the yak off the roof, moved the car, used the restroom, and was on my way at 7:30.  Only a few cars in the lot so early, two guys launched their fishing boat at the same time I headed out.
Down the canal to the Silver River.  Still in the canal here, lack  of rain means even the canal is clear.
I went to Silver River due to choppy forecasts on both coasts, and a "Bio Blitz" on the Wekiva and its tributaries.  The BB is a good thing, but I don't want to be on the water with 100 peple, good intentioned though they may be. http://www.friendsofwekiva.org/http://www.friendsofwekiva.org/

So, I did my own blitz on the Silver.  So far, two species shown, wood duck and limpkin.
Sandpiper, ID, Luis, 3.
Prothonotary warbler, 4.

Moorhen, 5.
Great egret, 6.
Limpkin chicks.
Alligator, 7.
Great blue heron, 8.
Anhinga, 9.
Turtles, 10.

Looking for monkeys, I spotted a two toned cypress knee across the River. A monkey on the knee?  No, just a light brown "kneecap", But, behind it, deer. 
11th animal pictured.   I saw, but did not photo, a bald eagle as it flew overhead.  I hoped it would land, where I could see it.  If it landed, it was not where I could see it.
The cormorants I saw last visit are still nesting.
It was 9:30 as I viewed the nests, and saw the first paddler of the day.  A woman who had launched from Silver Springs State Park.  She didn't have to tell me, I knew from the wheels strapped to her bow.  Its a half  mile portage from parking lot to River.
The roost is on a small island just downstream of the main spring.
Moorhen with chick.
I did not know cormorant chicks were white.
There are several springs on the upper part of the Silver River.  I was looking at this alligator,

And almost ran over this one.
Its underwater.  I debated putting the camera in the water, but gators bite.  The first one, thinking me a wimp, gave the ol' stink eye.
Two views of a young alligator.
All the amazing wildlife on the Silver River is protected.  Plenty of notice to people on the River. You've seen three signs on this Tale. Anyone on the River also sees them.

Cattle egrets. 12th different animal photoed.
Turtles, great blue heron, and anhinga.
I think it neat how limpkin chicks already have the markings, just need to grow their beaks.
Cardinal, 13.
Always good to see Luis.  Even better to see his Silver River View.  Next, time, I'll just stay home, and wait for his report.  It is awesome. 

He is such a good photographer, he even makes me look good.

Welcome back.  If you read Luis' blog, which I know is hard, as his pictures are superb, you know he said people were feeding monkeys.   Which has me thinking.   Perhaps monkeys come out later in the day, as they know that is when people are on the River.   And, people are scum.  Remember the signs about all life on the River being protected?  And no feeding?  Too bad some folks don't think it applies to them.
No fishing on the Silver River.  Who do these assholes think they are?  Another guy is at the other end of the boat, line in water.  I wanted a good shot of the registration.  Which I just sent to Florida Fish and Wildlife.  I should start carrying my cell phone, then I could report these scumbags right away.  Which may have paid off Saturday.  About an hour later, I told a Fish and Wildlife officer slowly going up River about the lawbreakers.  I failed to pull up the photo and give her the registration, just telling her it was "two males and a female"

Me, a narc.  If they had been smoking a doobie I only would have reported them if they didn't offer me a hit.

Pie billed grebe. 14th critter seen between, launch and return to the canal leading to Ray's Wayside.
Which I passed at noon, heading down River to search for monkeys.  Once, after not seeing any on the Silver, I saw some on the Ocklawaha River.
The anhinga was on the Silver, brown water snake (15) on the Ocklawaha.  Brown is an appropriate color as going upstream, the Ock is a brown water river.
Green heron, 16.  As you know, I did not see any monkeys.  I decided to go all the way to the bridge that carries Marion County Road across the Ocklwaha.   I had been there once before. http://davesyaktales.blogspot.com/2009/06/silver-and-ocklawaha-rivers.html   In that Tale, I wrote the bridge was schedule to be replaced.   The historic swing bridge is now a pedestrian path.


After taking the photos, I turned around to paddle down the slow moving Ocklawaha back to the Silver River.
Not a lot of wildlife, but then few people.  A welcome respite from the Silver, which got pretty crowed on the downstream paddle.   I kept saying to myself, "glad I got an early start"
This is the State Highway 40 Bridge, just down stream of the confluence of the Silver and Ocklawaha.
It is higher than it has to be as it was built as part of the Cross Florida Barge Canal.  Fortunately, that scheme to widen, channelize, and turn Ock into a canal was ended in 1971.
This may be a pillar from an earlier, lower, span.


A campsite, just past the bridge.  To be precise, just past an RV Park.
I paddled down the very clear Ock, thanks to the influx of the Silver River, for 20-30 minutes.

I wanted a closer look at the sign, on  what looks like a good spot to camp between the spot with the picnic table and fire ring, and the RV park.
I'd say a fire ring is "reasonable notice"
Viceroy 16.
Nest building great blue heron.
Confluence.  Ocklawaha, left, Silver, right.
An otter is under those ripples.
Passed the canal again, 3 pm. A final monkey hunt.
I paddled back up the Silver River for twenty minutes. 

To hear people say.  "We saw lots of monkeys !"  Oh, shut up.    Just kidding.  Maybe I need to bring  food for them.  No. It may not be illegal, although I need to do some more research on that, but its not right.  And the sad thing is, the person who will get bit is someone like me and not some dumbass tossing donuts.

Landed at 4:00.  I was beat.  But, had to visit spring I could snorkel in, unlike the ones on the Silver River.  The Fountain of Youth could restore my weary bones.


Took the scenic route to Silver Glen Springs.
I had the Spring to myself.  And hundreds of striped bass.

I was headed to the Boils Trail when my battery expired.  Third of the day.  Just think if I saw monkeys.  I had a fourth battery in the car.  I went to the car, and left Silver Glen Springs.  Crossed the highway to the Yearling Trail.
Home to the Florida scrub jay.  An endemic species.  Much better to see than some exotic monkeys.


Oh, who am I kidding.  But it was a heck of a day
Not sure what this orange, black and white bird is.  So, I'll end with a mystery.

7 comments:

Joanne said...

Aw, limpkin chicks. I know the limpkins on RSR have some by the way they're acting, but they're hiding them well.

Luis said...

And the deer master strikes back. Have always been looking for deer in Silver River but so far no luck. But can never start as early as you do Master Dave. Maybe one day...

Brenda M said...

Dave, regarding the feeding monkeys, I've gone around and around with the "officials" on this, and the ridiculous bottom line is, because the monkeys are not a NATIVE species to Florida, having come here as a result of someone letting them loose here eons ago, it is perfectly LEGAL to feed them. Isn't that just ridiculous?! Even though someone IS going to be badly hurt because of this practice, there it is: it's perfectly legal to feed the monkeys on the Silver River.

Joanne said...

For wildlife emergencies or violations:
888 404-3922

Also, please report air boats on the Wekiva River--they are not allowed on the Wekiva or its tributaries, unless working for the park system, spraying weeds or removing downed trees.

Great deer picture, Dave, and I enjoyed pics of the Ocklawaha. I haven't paddled up to the bridge in a long time.

Dave said...

Luis, someday a deer will be just behind one of your beautiful birds.

Brenda, it is ridiulous. In looking at the issue, it appears that the No Feeding Wildlife signs that are in every State Park are merely a suggestion. I need to lobby my representative.

Joanne, if only someone would invent a camera that had a phone. Then I might carry a phone with me.
What? its been done?

Joanne said...

Brenda M....I did not know that. So it must be okay to feed the Burmese Pythons as well as the monkeys...let's feed them a few of the folks who are feeding the monkeys (and gators.)

Brenda M said...

Actually, Joanne, it IS legal to feed the Burmese pythons!!! In my argument with the state and wildlife officials, I managed to toss that into the conversation, thinking that the very stupidity of that concept would make MY argument, but instead it backfired when they admitted that it would indeed be perfectly legal to feed a Burmese python for the same reason as the monkeys: they're not native species to Florida.

As for the idiots who were fishing, can you really blame them, therefore, for thinking the "no fishing" signs were merely a suggestion?...