Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Wekiva River and Blackwater Creek

I did not even notice the little gators until I downloaded the photo.  Taken when I turned around on Blackwater Creek.
I launched from Katie's Landing on the Wekiva River at 1:00.



A Boy Scout Troop had launched just before I arrived, so it was good to explore the area across from Katie's to let them get down River.



I wonder if this is the same crane couple that raised a chick in this area last spring.




Down the Wekiva River. In a drizzle, north wind in my face. I put the poncho on, but the rain stopped, so off it came.


One fishing boat and one fast paddling kayaker passed me.  The Boy Scouts turned around and came back up the Wekiva.  Not one mentioned seeing any alligators. 



 I saw this one soon after the scouts went by. The only alligator I saw on the Wekiva. Two more boats, one at the spot where folks like to stop, and one at the mouth of Blackater Creek.  Which I paddled up.

Thought this was a log. Until it moved.
Saw more gators on Blackwater Creek than on the Wekiva River. And I spent 4 hours on the Wekiva, just one on Blackwater. 

Arrival at my sometime break spot.  With dark skies, I did not take the time to stop. Paddled just past, as sometimes an alligator is nearby
Or, an alligator family.

Back on the Wekiva for the up River paddle.




Just two or three more boats on the River as I paddled back to Katie's Landing.  No paddlers, until I was almost done.


It rained again, as soon as I put the poncho on, it stopped.


Not quite the turkey pic I got two weeks ago.




It began to rain again as I approached Katie's Landing.   A horde of kayakers had just passed me.  Some with headlamps.  Figured at had to be a so-called "MeetUp" group doing a moon light paddle.  Too bad for them it was overcast.   It was a Meet up. I found the website.  Not my cup of tea.  I don't want to see anyone when I kayak.

The hiking trail in the Lower Wekiva Preserve State Park have recently been greatly expanded.  Instead of driving to the trailhead on State Road 46, there is now a trailhead across from Katie's Landing.


Over 5 miles of new trails. I only walked a half mile.  Surface hard enough to bike, but I grabbed brochure, and it says hiking only.  The State Parks website, which does not have the new trails, says bikes are allowed on the old trail.

Almost forgot. Well, I did forget, but remembered today, Sunday. Saw my first swallow tail kites of the season.  They come to the Gulf coast, including all of Florida, from South America to breed.
Also, an otter, just before Wekiva Haven.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

The opening picture is priceless.
Yep, that was the meet up group for their moonlight paddle. Very nice folks. But I don't like headlamps on the water. Same as walking at night on the beach--it isn't hard to see at all until someone turns on a flashlight.