Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th of July, On The Road From Key West

I wanted to paddle around No Name Key again on the way home from Key West.  One nice thing about driving on the Overseas Highway is you get a 360 degree view of the weather. It was not good.  I arrived at the end of Watson Blvd., where I put in Saturday, and thought I'd take a chance.  But, as I began to unstrap the kayak, it began to rain.  So, I left, but did got a deer photo.

Next stop, the Seven Mile Bridge. Rather the old bridge, which is open for bikers, walkers and runners for 2.25 miles.  I biked.  Hard to believe two semis could fit on the narrow span.  Or a Greyhound, like the one Tom G., Jim J., and I rode in December 1979.

The start above, and end of the open part of the Old Bridge. Signs say its 2.25 miles.

The new 7 Mile Bridge.  Once a year, its close for the 7 Mile Bridge Run.  I did it, once.
At the end of the 2.2 mile section is Pigeon Key.  It served as a construction base during the building of the railroad.  Here's a link to the Pigeon Key Foundation. 



It was a treat to see up close what I've only viewed from the new bridge.




The bike back was slower. Into the wind.


Would I get a closer view of the osprey?





I've never been closer to a raptor.  Other than turning its head, it did not move.



One of the nicest 4.81 mile rides you can experience.  Forty five minutes later, I had the kayak in at Curry Hammock State Park. Where I saw a dragon. Or maybe an iguana, at least 5 feet long.  With a set of black rings, like a raccoon, on its tail.  As I was unloading the yak, I didn't have the camera ready.



Looking towards the Atlantic. It was windy, so I went the other way.
 Great white heron,  you'll have to trust me, the pale legs are hidden in the mangroves.


Man made tunnel leads to a natural tunnel.





Bug spray required.







My usual Curry Hammock route takes me from the launch, west to the mangrove tunnel, out to a wider channel, east, than north along the beach, shown above. But, it was windy, and I would have had to paddle into it if I kayaked along the beach. So, I let the wind push me south, past Deer Island, and came back on the inside of that island.



Huge house south of Deer Island.



Magnificent frigate bird

 Signpost to the mangrove tunnel.
 Landed at 1:25.  Loading the yak, I was ready when another immense iguana went by.

Views from the drive home.



Approaching Orlando, 7:40 PM.

2 comments:

SFlaGuy said...

I headed to Jupiter for the weekend. Much better weather for kayaking. I even stuck my face in the water for a while to see the fish.

Dave said...

SFG, now that you snorkeled without swallowing to much water, you need to visit Central and North Florida to kayak spring fed rivers and see fish and more in the cool springs.