Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Juniper Creek and Silver Glen Springs

Leading off with a snorkel picture from Silver Glen Spring, as the underwater shots in Silver Glen are better than anything I took on Juniper Creek Saturday, February 21, 2009.

I put in at the usual spot, Juniper Wayside on Highway 19, 8:20 am. Just two pictures on the way up.







Great blue heron and limpkin. As usual, not many of birds on Juniper Creek. Others were belted kingfishers, cardinals, assorted little song birds, green heron, turkeys, and vultures. Oh yeah, a bald eagle, soaring overhead. That and a group of three deer were the highlights. Another highlight, no people until I was well past halfway.



The low light, an overly officious park employee at the landing. Which is the launch for most people. He told me, "You can't paddle upstream" In the words of Daffy Duck, I think he was having "pronoun trouble" It's "I, meaning 'you' can't paddle upstream. As 'you" meaning "I' am here, obviously one can paddle upstream" I asked him to show me, in writing, a statute or ordinance stating one cannot paddle up Juniper Creek. That flustered him, he responded "we make the rules, you just can't. An actual U.S. Forest Service officer also was at the launch. He said nothing during the encounter, but as I walked away, motioned me over, said he was sorry for how the employee treated me, and would find out if their really was any prohibition on entering the Recreation Area from the Creek. As I headed towards the Spring, another disappointment. It is closed ! And the entire picnic area around it. I was told it is "being drained and cleaned out" How one drains a Spring, I don't know. But just a few years ago, a lot of sediment was taken out, uncovering a large vent that had not been visible. Perhaps a similar operation is in progress now. It began February 17.



The closure made my walk to the entrance station to pa the entry fee even longer. I had to take the new boardwalk that connects the rental canoe storage are to the Creek, instead of cutting through the Spring area. At least I saw a hawk on the way.



I should have put on the better shoes I had in the yak, but I had wanted to get away from the launch area ASAP. I did a lot of walking in my paddling shoes, an old, very worn pair of running shoes, soles coming away from bottom. Not good as I tried to find Fern Hammock Springs. I circled a camping loop before I found my way.













I took the familiar boardwalk along Fern Hammock Run and Juniper Creek back to to the day use area. Where again, I could not cut through. The entire area is fenced off. So, another detour. Finally, I was back at the launch, where I ate my sandwich, cookie and grapes. A pair of kayakers put in. I let them get a head start. Another pair came, left their yaks, soon followed by a third. This three were together, and finding out the other two had gone to shuttle a car to the Wayside, I told the one left watching the kayaks, I'd take the opportunity to get on the Creek ahead of them.










This turtle is the only animal photo from the down Creek trip.









I've had this shot on my last few Juniper Creek posts. I had thought it was just increased flow after Tropical Storm Fay. But Fay's affects are long gone, yet the increased flow continued. Then I remembered what Ed, of the Green Wave Forum, wrote after a trip down Juniper in December:









"Just downstream from midway was another surprise. Since August, a new spring has opened up next to the creek. First evidence of the spring is increased water flow - even a few ripples add to the "whitewater" action. "









I think I found the spring, clear water, rushing from the right bank.





I did the hand test. Dip my hand in the water to judge the temperature. The clear water gurgling from the bank was warmer than the darker water nearby. It's a spring all right.







On the down Creek paddle, I passed the folks who launched as I ate lunch, and two others. One trio in canoe was fortunate I came when I did. Just as the stern paddler dropped his canoe paddle. I picked it up,handed it to him, and reminded them of the old saying. Up the creek without.....







I landed at Juniper Wayside, as a large group from Brevard Community College was loading up. And blocking the drive. Am I wrong to think they were a bit inconsiderate to have a pickup with trailer, and van parked at the loading/unloading area ? Allowing no room for other cars to pass as they loaded 8 canoes on the trailer ? There was no reason for the van to be there, the truck and trailer could have been moved up a bit where there is a pull off for loading, allowing others to pass. I was to tired to say anything as I carried my gear, then the yak to the car. Perhaps someone in the group will read this, and it will dawn on them to make room next time.







What a day. Paddling was fine, people on either end, not so much. I need rejuvenation. I needed to snorkel Silver Glen Spring. Which was full of mullet.













And a huge school of jack crevalle.










Plus, tilapia and huge sunfish. And, not only the for the first time on Dave's Yak Tales, but the first time since I obtained underwater capability, a sting ray.











I saw rays all the time in Silver Glen Spring. Until I got the underwater housing two years ago. Then, none. Until this afternoon.


I ended my visit to Silver Glen with a walk on the Lake George Trail. Not all the way, just to first overlook. I did have proper foot wear. Then the Boils Trail, where I saw two bears in November. None today. A deer as I arrived back to the Springs area.


Finished the day in the Ocala National Forest with a 10 minute or so walk on the Yearling Trail. In search of scrub jays. For the first time, I did not spot any. The sunset over Juniper Prairie was nice.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifull pictures! Please update us on the up stream paddle rules!
Thanks Again Dave!

Dave said...

Ranger Bob was on my voice mail today, Monday. He could not find anything the prohibits paddling upstream and landing at the Juniper Springs Recreation Area. He again apologized for the rude way I was treated by the Rec Area employee.

By that person's logic, hikers on the Florida Trail can't enter the Recreation Area, but only begin their hikes at Juniper Springs